If you haven’t seen it on the news, there is a giraffe causing problems for parents. The popular toy named Sophie the Giraffe has been sold worldwide for over 50 years. In fact, it is such a popular toy that more than 50 million of the rubber animals have been sold across the globe.
The toy is created with materials, namely latex, harvested from Heavea trees. The material is a natural one, and the shape of the toy offers teething children something to hold and chew on. Frighteningly, many parents have reported moldy Sophies. It is especially discomforting because the toys are designed to be put in the mouth.
Sophie’s problems came to light when a New Jersey dentist noticed that her son’s toy smelled strange. The mom cut her son’s Sophie toy open and found mold lining the inside of the giraffe. Experts believe that the mold is able to grow due to moisture from children’s mouths and an air hole in the bottom of the toy. A photo was taken of the inside of the toy and posted online. The posting prompted other parents to cut their own children’s Sophie toys open. Perhaps not surprisingly, mold was found growing inside several.
According to the company, there are washing instructions included with Sophie the Giraffe toy. Owners should wash the toy by soaking it in hot, sudsy water followed by a five-minute soak in a solution that is a half cup of bleach in a gallon of water. The toy should then be rinsed and allowed to dry.
No illnesses have been reported in conjunction with the finding of mold, meaning no recall has been issued. It is also known that mold does not cause serious injury or illness, but it is concerning. Some people have reactions to mold that are more harsh than others. Small children and people with compromised immune systems are at the highest risk for serious side effects from exposure.
Any consumer who locates mold in a toy like Sophie should report their findings to saferproducts.gov. Reports are investigated thoroughly and the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission determines actions that should be taken. Any parent who does find mold in Sophie or any other toy should not let their children play with it any longer, even if it has been cleaned. Experts caution that there is no real way to get rid of mold completely in these situations.
If you have a Sophie the Giraffe or any other rubber toy in your household, inspect it for mold growth to protect your child. If your little one has been harmed by a product in Charlotte or the surrounding area, reach out to our team of experienced personal injury attorneys. We will review the details of your case at no cost to you and advise you of your legal options. Call today or browse our website for more information about our firm and the types of cases we handle.