People who telecommute are subject to injury just like employees who work on-site. While telecommuters are generally covered by workers’ compensation, they may find it a bit more difficult to prove that their injury occurred during the scope of their employment.
Telecommuters have filed workers’ compensation claims and won. Courts across the country have found that even though an employer cannot control the working conditions of the telecommuters home, that has no baring on whether or not they must pay claim awards. In fact, employers are responsible for providing a safe work environment for telecommuters.
Employers are encouraged to implement these practices:
- Create a policy that outlines the expectations had for any person permitted to work at home.
- Limit the ability to telecommute to those employees who are able to work efficiently and safely without supervision.
- Establish guidelines to be followed for employees using a home office.
- Provide training for telecommuters working out of their home, including workstation setup, safety procedures, and the importance of ergonomics.
- If possible or appropriate, visit the home office and help the telecommuter eliminate safety hazards.
- Set fixed work hours, breaks and meal times for telecommuters. This helps establish a work schedule and will make it easier for both the employer and employee to determine if an injury occurred during the course of employment.
Workers’ compensation laws vary from state to state. Employers should work with their workers’ compensation carrier and their attorneys in order to manage workers’ compensation risks and coverage for their telecommuting employees.
If you are a telecommuter, you share in the responsibility of making sure that your workplace is a safe one. Make sure that you are putting your home office together with your health and safety in mind.
If you have been hurt in the scope of your employment and need assistance with workers’ compensation in Charlotte, reach out to our team of experienced attorneys. We will review the details of your injury at no cost to you. Call now or browse our website for more information about our firm. We are here to assist you as you take the next steps to recovering what you are due.