Get a FREE Case Review
Call Today: (855) 971-1114
Available 24 Hours, 7 Days A Week

How to Obtain your Accident Report

After a car accident in North Carolina or South Carolina, one of the most important pieces of evidence you can obtain is the police report. On this report, you can see who was assigned blame, and how police believe the accident happened. You can also see a diagram of the wreck, the estimated damage to each vehicle and more. If you need to, you can also petition to have any statements listed changed that you believe are incorrect.

Usually, obtaining the report is easy enough. However, understanding the codes and other information on it can be more difficult. As such, it may be best to have an attorney walk you through it. If you have been involved in a car accident in North or South Carolina, call us today at (704) 364-3361. We can help you get a copy of the police report after your accident, explain what everything means and, if necessary, help you file a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver.

How to Get a Police Report

The process of obtaining a police report is generally similar from city to city, but there are some variances you’ll want to pay attention to. For instance, some cities require you pay a small fee to obtain your report, while others don’t. In addition, some cities only allow you to request a copy of the police report via specific communication channels, such as in person or by mail.

In South Carolina, you can always get a police report from the Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV). Fill out Form FR-50, and send two copies of the form (along with a $6 check or money order) to:

Financial Responsibility
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0040

Regardless of how you get your report, once it’s in hand, you’ll likely notice a few different codes featured prominently somewhere on the page. These codes are used by police departments and insurance companies alike to determine what happened, who’s at fault and what damages were incurred. An experienced attorney can help you decipher these codes so you know exactly what the police believed happened.  

Get Your Police Report in Your City

At Auger & Auger, we have over 25 years of experience helping victims of car accidents obtain and understand police reports, and moving forward with personal injury lawsuits. We can help you get your police report nearly anywhere in North Carolina or South Carolina, including:

If you’ve been injured in a car wreck in North or South Carolina, and aren’t sure what to do next, call the car accident attorneys at Auger & Auger today at (704) 364-3361 or contact us online for a free, no-obligation consultation. No matter where you are in the state, we’ll meet you in our offices, in the hospital or in your home.

Call Today - FREE Consultation No Fee Until Recovery! 800-559-5741

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this Website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Firm expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all the contents of this Website.