Choosing the Right Day Care
Deciding who you are going to entrust your children with while you are at work is a daunting decision. In addition to costs and operating hours, there are several other factors you should take into consideration.
Plan to visit the facility at a time when your child can accompany you, and you can see first-hand what the children in your child’s age group are doing. During your visit, take note of the following:
- Are caregivers patient with the children?
- Are the children being treated with respect?
- Do the children seem happy to be there?
- Is the facility following appropriate staff-child ratios?
- Do staff appear to be following good hygiene?
- Observe diaper changing and bathrooms for cleanliness.
- Do the caregivers appear to be following an organized program for the children?
- Inspect the kitchen area for cleanliness.
- Do indoor play materials appear age appropriate and in good, clean condition?
- Are outdoor play structures age appropriate and safe?
You should also ask the director the following questions:
- Are you licensed? In North Carolina, what is your star rating?
- What training does the staff have?
- Are background checks conducted on all staff?
- How is discipline handled?
- What are the procedures for drop-off and pick-up of children?
- What safety measures are in place to ensure children are picked up by the right person?
- What if my child becomes sick or injured?
- Can I drop in to observe at any time?
- Can you contact current parents as references?
Making these observations, and asking these questions will help in this difficult decision.
Call Today - FREE Consultation No Fee Until Recovery! 800-559-5741