Oak Island Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or someone close to you has been injured in an accident, you need an Oak Island personal injury lawyer to represent you and protect your rights. At Auger & Auger we represent injured individuals and their family members in Oak Island and the surrounding areas.
Liability in Personal Injury Cases
Legal responsibility for an accident is called “liability” in personal injury cases. When someone is found liable by the courts it simply means that they are legally responsible for the accident in question and are also responsible for the injuries caused by the accident. In order to hold someone legally responsible for an accident you need to file a claim with their insurance (if they have any) and/or file a lawsuit against them.
In Oak Island personal injury cases you typically have three years to bring a lawsuit against the person responsible for the accident. This time limit is called the “statute of limitations”. If you don’t file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires, you will not be able to recover any financial compensation from the person responsible for your accident and injuries.
Depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident, the person who caused your accident may be required to compensate you for a variety of expenses including:
- Medical Expenses – When an accident happens and causes injuries, the person responsible for the accident is required to pay for your medical care to ensure that you completely recover. Medical expenses can include doctor’s visits, medical specialists, dentists, physical therapy, emergency care and medical devices like joint replacements and prosthetics.
- Lost Wages – If the accident you were in caused serious injuries, you probably weren’t able to go to work right after the accident. If you had to miss time from work and lost income as a result of the accident, you are entitled to be reimbursed for the income you lost.
- Loss of Earnings Capacity – If your injuries are permanent and affect your ability to return to your former line of work and you can’t find work that pays the same, the person who caused the accident can also be held responsible for the difference in your income. They may be required to pay you the difference or pay for your training so that you can find work in another field.
- Property Damage – If your personal property was damaged in the accident you are required to be compensated for that as well. The person who caused the accident is required to either pay for your personal property to be repaired or they must pay you the fair market value of your property if it is beyond repair.
- Pain & Suffering – The injuries you suffered and the change in your lifestyle can’t be taken back or undone after an accident. However, you can be financially compensated for the pain and inconvenience you suffered as a result of the accident and your Oak Island personal injury lawyer can help you get proper compensation for this.
Call Auger & Auger today to learn about how we can help you get the compensation you are entitled to after an accident. We offer free consultations and are here to help.
Call Today - FREE Consultation No Fee Until Recovery! 855-969-5671