Covering 790 square miles, Randolph County ranks 19th in North Carolina’s population and is the 11th largest county. It encompasses the towns of Trinity, Staley, Seagrove, Randleman, Ramseur, Liberty, Franklinville, Asheboro, and Archdale. Nearly 130,000 people call Randolph County home.
The area we now know as Randolph County was originally part of Guilford County and was formed in 1779. The area was initially settled along the Deep River and Haw River by English Quakers. Randolph County was named after the first president of the Continental Congress, Peyton Randolph.
Randolph County is home to many historic landmarks, including the Pisgah covered bridge. Built in 1911, the Pisgah covered bridge is one of the last covered bridges still existing in North Carolina. The Andrew Balfour Cemetery, which dates back to 1782, is also in Randolph County. Other historic landmarks include Sandy Creek Primitive Baptist Church (1802), Franklinville Manufacturing Company (1838), and Randolph County Courthouse (1909).
As a tourist destination, there is something for everyone in Randolph County. Randolph is home to the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro, the Richard Petty Museum in Randleman, Uwharrie National Forest, and the North Carolina Pottery Center in Seagrove, world renowned for handmade pottery.