Shocking Car Accident Statistics From 2022
Author: Auger Law | April 26th, 2023
Car accident statistics indicate crashes are on the rise. Here, we examine when, where, and why accidents are most likely to occur.
Reading car accident statistics can be grim, but knowledge is power. In this article, we share the latest car accident statistics from 2022 to provide insight into vehicle crashes. Knowing how, when and where car accidents are most likely to happen can help you become a safer, more aware driver.
Important Car Accident Statistics
- Every 5 seconds, a car accident happens in the U.S.
- The average driver will be involved in 2 to 4 accidents during his or her lifetime.
- Approximately 41,285 people died in auto accidents in 2022. That’s a road fatality every 12 minutes!
- South Carolina drivers cause the most accidents in the country. The state ranks #1 on the 2022 list of states with the most car accidents.
- North Carolina ranks #8 on the 2022 list of states with the most car accidents.
- An estimated 35% of all fatal car accidents are the result of impaired or drunk driving.
- Teens between the ages 16–19 are at the highest risk for being involved in a car accident. Teen drivers are involved in a fatal crash rate almost 3x more than drivers over the age of 20.
- Women are 73% more likely to be injured in a car accident than men. However, men are more likely to be killed in a car accident than women.
- Friday between 3 p.m. and 5:59 p.m. is the most dangerous day and time to drive, according to the NHTSA.
- Saturday between 9 p.m. and 11:59 p.m. is when most fatal accidents occur. This period is also when most DUI arrests are made.
Are car accidents increasing?
Car accident statistics suggest crashes are becoming more frequent. Traffic fatalities in 2022 increased by 0.5% compared to 2021. As a result, 2022 was one of the worst years for car accident deaths and injuries in recent years.
The reasons for why car accidents are increasing are numerous. Distracted driving and excessive speeding are becoming more common; there are more drivers on U.S. roadways than ever before; and there is a decline in seat belt and booster seat use.6 tips to help you prevent car accidents and injuriesThe following tips may seem like common sense, but these actions can save lives.
- ALWAYS wear your seat belt.
- NEVER drive distracted.
- NEVER speed; it’s one of the leading causes of accidents.
- KEEP YOUR DISTANCE and never tail other drivers.
- STAY ALERT for other drivers. Don’t assume or predict their actions.
- NEVER drive when impaired, including drunk, drowsy, or high.
Injured in a car accident in North Carolina or South Carolina?
Call Auger & Auger at (855)971-1114
Car accidents are devastating, stressful, and confusing. However, the experienced car accident attorneys at Auger & Auger are here to help.
With over 25 years of experience, our Carolina-based firm has helped thousands of victims recover from serious car accidents. From the moment you contact us, we will give you straightforward, honest answers to all your questions. We will inform you of your options and legal rights. We can help you find local medical specialists. We will even handle the insurance companies on your behalf.
Learn more about how Auger & Auger can help you by requesting a FREE case review here.
Or call 855-971-1114 to schedule your complimentary meeting with one of our car accident attorneys today.